How can you recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you decide to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids versus throwing them away.
There are plenty of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why It’s Important to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
First, here are a few important statistics about loss of hearing and hearing aids in the US:
- About 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over 50 years old
- 15% of school-age children have some kind of hearing loss
- Almost 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
This is extremely troubling. Because untreated hearing loss has been connected to numerous health problems from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how important hearing is to your overall health. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very persuasive fact. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are many volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or give us a call.